Monday, April 27, 2009

Memorial Box Monday

Recently I have been following the journey of another adoption bloggie friend and was greatly inspired. Every Monday my bloggie friend adds something new to her "Memorial Box". The "Memorial Box" comes from Joshua 4, when Almighty God tells the Israelites to collect stones and set them as a Memorial to remind them of God's power and provision. He tells the Israelites to use the stones as a memorial; they would be a reminder to their children and their children's children of God's faithfulness. This passage of scripture holds such a dear place in my heart as it was the last study I wrote and taught my girls prior to moving.

I loved the idea of a Memorial Box so much that I am now in search of my very own, however for now I will place my additions in a safe spot. Here goes with my very first Memorial Box addition:

Somehow when it rains my mind automatically shifts to my childhood. Growing up in Daytona Beach, Florida rain was an almost daily occurrence. It seemed fun filled days at the beach would be cut short by the 2:00pm rain showers. My sisters and I would stand on the balcony of my grandparents oceanfront condo and watch the storms roll in over the water. What a beautiful sight! There are many fond memories of days spent laying by the window, or screen door, in our home watching the rain fall. Curled up in a blanket, the pitter patter of rainfall, it was the perfect setting for a child of 5 to take a nap. Today, sitting at my desk in a room with no windows, I find myself greatly missing those simpler days that were gone as quickly as the rain showers.
There is something so very peaceful and calming about rain. But perhaps the best part of the rain is how it refreshes and restores the beauty around us. What a picture of Gods love for us that He would continue to surround us with beauty in the midst of all the turmoil. He sends the rain to wash over the earth just as He sent His son to wash over our sins. Walking across campus in the rain I began to hum the simply song "Oh the blood of Jesus". I am not sure why this song came to mind, but how fitting for a rainy day:

"Oh, the blood of Jesus! Oh, the blood of Jesus! Oh, the blood of Jesus! It washes white as snow". How blessed we are to have a savior!

So on this, my first Memorial Box Monday, I am making 2 additions. In honor of my bloggie friend, and her beautiful idea, a memorial stone inscribed with Joshua 4. In honor of my Savior a little bottle of rainwater. The rain reminds me to slow down, appreciate the simple things, remember His sacrifice for me and rest in Him. May the rain today bring you joyful memories and a sense of restful refreshment.

Love & Hugs,

Heather

No comments: