Called to something great...
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress...James 1:27
As I write this blog my mind is spinning with so many details, I hardly know where to start.
Since March, when we began our domestic adoption process, I have felt a tugging at my heart, a restless feeling about this process. Not an uncertainty of the agency or of the decision to proceed with the adoption process, but something much deeper. I tried to push it aside as nerves, but the tugging became stronger and stronger. As I began praying the Lord would reveal what it was that He was trying to tell us, the passion for orphans began to well inside of me once again. Immediately the wall went up, there was no way I could go there again, not after what we had been through....God had other plans.
Without making this the worlds longest blog, let me try to sum up what has transpired over the past few weeks.
The beginning of September our adoption councilor contacted me to see when we would like to proceed with our home study. We had every intention of scheduling it, but I felt a pulling, not a tugging this time, a pulling on my heart. What if God had something bigger, much bigger? I began to read the blog of a friend adopting from Nepal. Out of sheer curiosity I looked on their agencies website and something caught my eye...God could this be possible? I called the agency (ironically I have received the waiting child list from this agency every few months for the past 5 years) obtained the information I needed and almost instantly I knew what had been tugging at my heart all this time. Hesitantly I called Patrick, knowing he would listen, but thinking he would shy away from the idea, after all the domestic process was attainable. Being the girl that I am, the minute I heard his voice the well broke and through tears I explained to him what was on my heart. Without hesitation he said "Lets not trade what is easy for what God wants for us". I am blessed with such a wonderful man of God. So we prayed and prayed and prayed...and when we thought we were sure, we prayed some more.
But perhaps the greatest confirmation came in a way only God could have orchestrated. A little over two weeks ago we submitted the preliminary application & found out the process could be up to $30,000, which is a far cry from the $8500 of the domestic process. As I walked to the chapel that afternoon, to meet Patrick for lunch, my prayer was simple "God I have no idea how we are going to do this, but I am trusting you". I met Patrick outside the chapel and as we began walking he said "I have something for you". Out of his pocket he pulled a folded up yellow piece of paper and handed it to me. As I unfolded the piece of paper something fell out. Leaning down to pick it up I read the the words on the yellow sheet:
"Patrick, My church wants to help with your adoption effort. Don't thank the messenger. I hope it helps keep the ball rolling."
I looked down in my hand and unfolded a check for $1250! I stood frozen, sobbing for what felt like an eternity. Not sure God could have spoken any louder to me in that moment.
So whats the BIG NEWS??? We are taking a huge leap of faith and entering an international adoption to TAIWAN! I haven't stopped smiling since that day I called Patrick crying. For us this is more than just the desire to have a child, it is much greater, this is about a calling, a passionate desire to minister to orphans. James 1:27 is one of my favorite scriptures and so clearly explains why we are moving in this direction.
We know this will not be easy, but there is a peace only the Lord could give. We covet your prayers! No doubt this is going to be a journey, but we trust God has it all laid out. We are committed to whatever it takes to bring one of the 147 million orphans home and fulfill the calling that God so graciously placed on our life. I will fill in all the details in the coming weeks, for now I leave you with a song that speaks for itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6g3MksMUc&feature=related
May you know, though our lives, what an AWE INSPIRING, MOUNTAIN MOVING, GASP GIVING, EARTH SHATTERING, LIFE CHANGING God we serve.
Love you all!
Heather
ps-sorry this is a little scattered, it has been a long day :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment