This evening I drove home in the pouring, cold rain with my heater blasting, a warm coat on my back and coffee in hand. I decided to take a different route home to pick up the groceries I would need to make a pot of soup. After all there is nothing better than hot soup on a cold day. I exited the freeway along with a long line of cars. As I approached the stop light I could see a man in the distance with a cardboard sign and what appeared to be a severe limp. Upon closer inspection I could see that all he had on was a light rain coat...in 40 degree rainy weather! He was soaked from head to toe, I was heartbroken for him.
Traffic was moving incredibly slow, as is normal in the DFW area, giving me time to watch as the man limped back and forth. I did the only thing I knew to do, I grabbed my newly purchases umberella in the seat next to me and the $2 dollars I had in my wallet. I have been scrutinized before for giving panhandlers money, but somehow I felt this man needed to see the hands and feet of Jesus more than he needed my judgement for his situation.
As I approached the man the light turned red, thankfully. I rolled down my window and called out "Sir" and reached my hand out to give him the umbrella & money. He turned around and came toward me, I could see his coat was dripping with water and he looked so cold. He came closer, shook his head and said "I can't I only have one hand". I was not about to drive away and leave him soaking. I managed to get the umbrella opened and latched. I handed it to the man and he smiled as best he could, it appeared half of him face was impaired. He said "Thank you mam, God bless you". Somehow I think he was happier to get the umbrella than the money. I rolled up my window and drove away, looking back to see an individual whom God loves, covered by a brightly colored umbrella.
I don't know this mans story, I don't know where he will sleep tonight or what his next meal will be, I may never see him again, but what I hope for this man is that somehow he might find the hope of Jesus through the kindness of a stranger. I have driven by countless others, just like this man and each and every time I see them it breaks my heart, but what do I do to show these people Jesus?
The scripture tells us "Whatever you have done for the least of these brothers of mine, you have also done for me". I can't save these people, but I can be the hands and feet of Christ in moments like today.
I love the song "Surely We Can Change" by David Crowder. The tag and the chorus to this song descibes it best:
When all the love in the world Is right here among us And hatred too And so we must choose What our hands will do Where there is pain Let there be grace Where there is suffering Bring serenity For those afraid Help them be brave Where there is misery Bring expectancy And surely we can change Surely we can change Something
I will leave the judgement of a panhandlers actions up to the Father, for now I will continue to give what I have to someone who seems to have so little. And as for the new IKEA umbrella, well thankfully my hubby understood, he knows by now that I love to give things away!
Blessings,
Heather
No comments:
Post a Comment